Public Administration and Policy is happy to announce that we are supporting Athens Area Humane Society during the month of April! Athens Area Humane Society is a donor supported no-kill nonprofit organization dedicated to lowering area euthanasia rates through adoptions, spay/neuter, and pet retention programs.
The Athens Area Humane Society was started nearly three decades ago by a group of animal welfare activists that find it important to focus on the rescue and care of animals who would otherwise be euthanized. Their mission is to rescue, spay/neuter, and find homes for animals in Georgia and Beyond.
The Athens Area Humane Society is a private, nonprofit organization that does not receive funding from, and is not affiliated with, any national humane organizations, such as the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. They also do not receive government funding. They depend on the generosity of individual and corporate supporters to fund their programs and services as they:
- Rescue and care for more than 5,000 animals each year; many of these animals are at risk of being euthanized.
- Spay and Neuter over 4,000 animals each year with a full time surgeon on staff.
- Help communities deal with feral cats by offering a low cost feral package to keep the population under control.
- Find responsible, loving homes for approximately 1,000 animals each year.
- Provide low cost vaccinations to over 1,500 animals each year at their clinics.
- Educate the public concerning animal welfare and pet owner responsibility through school visits and social outreach.
Athens Area Humane Society accepts monetary donations, but also is in need of specific items they use around the facility and for their furry little friends. Donations allow them to continue to run programs and services, expand coverage, and develop new ideas to help animals. Public Administration and Policy will be accepting donation items in our main office (204 Baldwin Hall) throughout the month of April.
Consider donating some of the following items:
- BUBBLE WRAP
- BABY FOOD (MEAT ONLY)
- TUBE SOCKS (WHITE, NO HEEL)
- DISTILLED WATER (1G)
- PILLOW CASES
- LARGE FITTED CRIB SHEETS
- (FERAL CAT CAGE COVERS)
- TOYS (CAT & DOG)
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT (UNSCENTED)
- AUTHORITY PUPPY (PETSMART BRAND)
- PURINA CAT & KITTEN – DRY FOOD
- PURINA LAMB & RICE – ADULT DOG FOOD
- PUPPY PADS
- PLASTIC LITTER BOXES & SCOOPS
- COPY PAPER
- TRASH BAGS (TALL)
- YELLOW HIGHLIGHTERS
- BLACK INK PENS
- BLUE INDEX CARDS
- YELLOW INDEX CARDS
- PINK INDEX CARDS
- BLACK SHARPIES
- MASKING TAPE
- PAPER CLIPS
- DAWN DISH SOAP
- HAND SANITIZER
- LAUNDRY DETERGENT
- LINT ROLLERS
- PAPER TOWELS
- DISTILLED WATER (1G)
- COPY PAPER
- TRASH BAGS (33GAL)
- TOILET PAPER
- BATH TOWELS (NO HOLES)
- ZIPLOCK BAGS (ALL SIZES)
Gift Cards (great to have when they need specific items from certain places):
- OFFICE DEPOT
- PET SUPPLIES PLUS
Athens Area Humane Society has a couple of great events coming up. Check them out and give them your support:
Sunday, April 28 — 4th Annual Kitten Shower
Saturday, May 11 — Mardi Paws
At the events they are hosting, they will do a BOGO Half-off Sale!
And, last but not least, Athens Area Humane Society will be visiting Public Administration and Policy for a puppy de-stress day on Monday, April 29, 2 p.m.-4 p.m. This is just in time to take a break and unwind from studying for exams. Meet us in front of Baldwin Hall and ditch your stress by playing with puppies! Bring an item from the donate list and make it a doubly successful day!
We hope everyone helps us support this great organization by donating an item, attending an event, and/or by coming out and playing with a puppy.