Spring-Summer 2022 SPIA Scholarships
Study abroad is an important component to the educational mission of the School. In an effort to provide opportunities to students who may not otherwise have an experience abroad, SPIA offers need-based support. Since these scholarships are need-based, applicants must have filed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form with the Office of Student Financial Aid for the 2021-22 year prior to submitting this scholarship application. The following scholarships are available to SPIA students participating in a SPIA study abroad program in spring/summer 2022:
- SPIA Study Abroad Scholarship – $5,000
- SPIA Alumni Board Study Abroad Scholarships – $5,000 (2)
- John Haire Study Abroad Scholarship – $5,000 (2)
- Terry A. and Margaret P. Mathews Study Abroad Scholarship – $2,500*
- Han S. Park Fund Study Abroad Scholarship – $3,500
- Charles S. Bullock III Experiential Learning Fund Study Abroad Scholarship – $4,500 (2)
* The Terry A. and Margaret P. Mathews award gives preference to students who are legal residents of Oglethorpe, Pierce, or Ware Counties in Georgia, or if no eligible applicant is from those counties, then preference is given to a legal resident of Georgia.
These scholarships are awarded to students with a declared major in political science and/or international affairs, who added their SPIA major no later then the spring prior to the application deadline, who have verified financial need by the Office of Student Financial Aid, and who plan to participate in and ultimately accepted to one of the following approved programs:
- Galway, Ireland – Summer
- Glasgow, Scotland – Maymester (not offered in Spring 2022)
- Global Studies in South Africa – Summer
- Liverpool, England – Summer
- SPIA at Oxford – Spring
- Stellenbosch, South Africa – Maymester
- UGA a Paris – Maymester
- Firenze, Italy – Maymester
- Verona, Italy – Spring
The application consists of the online application, a letter of recommendation from a SPIA faculty member, and a short essay discussing what the applicant believes they will gain from participation in the program.
Contact Paul Welch at email@example.com for more information on scholarships to support study abroad experiences.
Application deadline for these scholarships is 11:59 pm on Tuesday, October 12th.