- Ph.D. , Washington University in St. Louis 1989, Political Science
- B.A. , University of Rochester 1983, Political Science
Areas of Expertise
- Interest groups and lobbying
- Congressional-executive relations
- Presidential signing statements
- Abortion politics
- U.S. Congress
- Judicial review of bureaucratic decision-making
Policymaking, presidential signing statements, bureaucratic lobbying, and judicial review.
- Lobbying and Policymaking: The Public Pursuit of Private Interests. 2012. With Ken Godwin and Erik Godwin. Washington DC: CQ Press.
- Abortion Politics in Congress: Strategic Incrementalism and Policy Change. 2011. With Thad Hall. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- “Congressional Response to Presidential Signing Statements.” 2012. With Brian M. Harward and Kenneth W. Moffett. American Politics Research 40:1067-1091.
- “Economic Modeling of Interest Groups and Lobbying.” With Austin Clemens. 2011. In Guide to Interest Groups and Lobbying, Ed. Burdett Loomis, Assoc Ed.s Peter Francia and Dara Strolovich. Washington, DC: CQ Press.
- “Methodological Perspectives on Interest Groups.” 2010. In The Oxford Handbook of American Political Parties and Interest Groups, Ed.s L. Sandy Maisel and Jeffrey M. Berry. New York: Oxford University Press.
- “Delegation and Discretion in Anticipation of Coalitional Drift.” 2009. With Brian Harward. American Politics Research 37:983-1002.
- “Interests, Groups, and Information Aggregation.” 2009. With Ruoxi Li. In A Bridge Too Far? Commonalities and Differences between China and the United States, Ed.s Robert Graftstein and Fan Wen. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- “Is Corporate Lobbying Rational or Just a Waste of Money?” 2006. With Kenneth Godwin and Erik Godwin. Interest Group Politics, 7th Edition. Edited by Allan J. Cigler and Burdett A. Loomis. Washington DC: CQ Press.
- Analyzing Interest Groups: Group Influence on People and Policies. 2002. New York: W.W.Norton.
- “Modeling Efficacy and Interest Group Membership.” 2000. Political Behavior 22:89-108.
- “Representation and Institutionalization.” 1997. Journal of Theoretical Politics 9:147-65.
- “The Informational Role of Caucuses in the U.S. Congress.” 1997. With Frances Akins. American Politics Quarterly 25:407-30.
- “The Role of Legislators in the Determination of Interest Group Influence in Legislatures.” 1997. Legislative Studies Quarterly 22:517-534.
- “National Grange Influence on the Supreme Court Confirmation of Stanley Matthews.”1996. With John Anthony Maltese. Social Science History 20:41-62.
- “Unanimous Consent Agreements as Leadership Tools.” 1995. With Marcus Flathman. Legislative Studies Quarterly 20:177-195.
- “Regulating Lobbyists and Interest Group Influence.” 1993. Journal of Politics 55:41-56.
- “Interest Group Entrepreneurs: Entrepreneurs with Two Audiences.” 1993. With Itai Sened. American Journal of Political Science 37:834-866.