Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2004, Political Science
Certificate, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2003, State and Local Taxation
M.P.A., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 2000,
B.A., University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee 1997, Political Science and Philosophy
Public & Nonprofit Finance
State and Local Taxation
Urban Economic Development
- Financial management and fiscal policy issues of state and local governments, particularly related to taxation, revenue diversification, and urban economic development
- Interconnectedness of the public and nonprofit sectors and the implications for tax policy, tax burden, and public service provision
- "Road to Ruin? A Spatial Analysis of State Infrastructure Spending" (with Donald Bruce, John A. Deskins and Jonathan C. Rork), Public Budgeting & Finance(Forthcoming 2007).
- "Taking Stock of Gaps To Be Closed: Survey Findings from the States" (with Kristin A. Wagers). Public Works Management & Policy. Vol. 11, No. 4 (2007): 292-304.
- "Guns vs. Taxes? A Look At How Defense Spending Affects U.S. Federal Tax Policy." Public Budgeting & Finance. Vol. 26, No. 4 (2006): 59-78.
- "The Urban Environment: Taxation, Brownfields, and Property Valuation" (with Robert J. Eger, III). The American Review of Public Administration. Vol. 36, No. 4 (2006): 455-477.
- "The Property Tax: Past, Present, and Future" (with Benjamin J. Sharbel) in Handbook of Public Financial Management, Howard A. Frank editor. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor & Francis Group, 2006.
- "Are State Governments Prepared For Fiscal Crises? A Look At Revenue Diversification During the 1990s," Public Finance Review. Vol. 33, No. 5 (2005): 603-633.